Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Weather-related Decisions

I have been asked recently about the process I go through to make weather-related school late starts, early dismissals and cancellations. I make weather-related decisions based on the recommendations of our transportation services, other area school district superintendents, road conditions, and forecasts from the media, and various weather-related internet sites. The process starts the evening prior to doing this, and must be decided by 6 AM for a late starts or a day-long cancellation. Once school is in session, we continue to keep our eyes/ears on reports in case of the need to call for an early dismissal. The safety of the children is our first concern, and with parents going to work at a regular time, too many children are left at home without supervision with school dismissals. Therefore, I will always do my best to keep school in session.

7 SKILLS STUDENTS NEED FOR THEIR FUTURE - TONY WAGNER