Tuesday, February 1, 2011

School Board Practices (part 1 of 17): Shaping Governance for Success

It wasn't too many years ago that I put forth all my effort to research the best practices of school board governance. What I found wasn't at all surprising, but I do feel that this reseach needs to be shared. I'm no longer working as a superintendent in a public setting. In fact, I find my new career extremely motivating because of the time I get for "me."

To avoid being too long, I'm going to share this in several parts thoughout the month of February. Here is is:

School Board Practices: Shaping Governance for Success
By Dr. Steven Jordahl

Face the Challenge
The challenges facing public education systems are great. Budgets are declining; there is increased accountability, low morale, collective bargaining, political issues, and teacher shortages. The challenges have created the need for school boards to foster and develop a governing structure where working relationships unite all on the school board to act as one entity. With today’s expectations, to impact student achievement, school board governance is scrutinized by the voter on the performance of these elected officials.

Recent research has examined the relationship of school board governance to student achievement. The research identified the responsibilities of strategic planning and decision making, while recognizing the importance of positive superintendent/school board relations without the use of micromanagement practices by the school board. Appropriate practices help school boards become more focused on the decision making practices and strategic planning that impacts student achievement. School board leaders must recognize the importance of a positive relationship with the superintendent, and recognize the significance of governing to increase student achievement.
[stay tuned; more to come]

7 SKILLS STUDENTS NEED FOR THEIR FUTURE - TONY WAGNER