Sunday, January 24, 2010

WHERE ARE WE GOING? FOLLOW THE ROAD MAP!

Sometimes people (including St. Cloud Area School District staff members) will ask, "Where are we going as a school district; where is the school board and superintendent trying to take us?" I love questions like this because the answer is so simple; I carry it everywhere I go. It's called a strategic plan; it's District 742's Road Map. At the very least, this should be the first thing we highlight when someone says, "What are we trying to accomplish?"

The Road Map defines our purpose, it shapes our words and actions, provides direction and allows us to see our destination, and it takes an entire district to collaborate (team) to make it work. I carry it with me when I meet with all staff, community members, parents, and the media. In fact, I set it in front of me when I talk to the media. It served as my outline when I addressed the entire staff at the beginning of the year. We all refer to it when we meet with staff (example: in all guiding change situations). We refer to it in board meetings, board committees, district committees and etc.

Therefore, carry this with you everywhere you go...it hasn't failed me yet. It works! If you don't have it go to http://isd742.org/StrategicPlan/index.html.

7 SKILLS STUDENTS NEED FOR THEIR FUTURE - TONY WAGNER