Wednesday, July 8, 2009

PROBLEMS: THEY ARE JUST ADVENTURES

John Maxwell say, "a problem is something you can do something about. If you can't do something about it, then it's not a problem. It's a predicament."

Al Davis, owner of the Oakland Raiders says we should treat problems as a normal way of life; they shouldn't be seen as something special. John Maxwell says, "If you're working, expect problems. If you're dealing with family, expect problems. If you're just minding your own business and trying to relax, expect problems. If everything goes according to plan, then be pleasantly surprised. If it doesn't and you’ve planned accordingly, then you won't get so frustrated. A problem not anticipated is a problem. A problem anticipated is an opportunity." I say, a problem can be “a great adventure.”

I face problems everyday as “adventures” in my life. I love a great adventure where I plan a destination and need a compass or GPS to find my way. Then, when I reach my destination, I experience the beauty and the sense of accomplishment. I enjoy the adventures of traveling, scuba diving, and backpacking. Whether it’s Europe, Mexico, Canada or the United States, when I venture out to explore the mountains, the sea, the lakes, the woods or the prairies, I always encounter “forks in the road” (even when I’m diving), but I expect this. Knowing this makes the journey even more enjoyable because it’s a real adventure. In fact, a part of any adventure is planning it; a well-planned adventure results in an enjoyable adventure.

I am blessed with the position I hold because of the impact I can make in the lives of children and adults. I get to plan adventures, map out destinations, and recognize beauty and more opportunities everyday. Even though I encounter problems, I anticipate them and look to create even more opportunities. In other words, being a superintendent is “a great adventure.”

7 SKILLS STUDENTS NEED FOR THEIR FUTURE - TONY WAGNER