Monday, June 1, 2009

Bullying & Cyberbullying: What Parents Can Do

Bullying another person just once is one too many times. The act of causing shame and harm to another is never O.K. I want all parents and staff to know that bullying needs to be addressed, and it's not acceptable in the school district I lead.

We have to hold our children accountable acts of kindness, and as a parent, I want my child to speak to me about these bullying when they see it or experience it. I want to make sure they understand the importance of tolerance and resiliency so that they grow to be mentally healthy human beings. After all, I can't control the acts of everyone, but I can help my child to understand that some are ignorant. Face it; bullying is never right, but chances are, we will never completely elimate it. Even so, do what you can as a parent to talk to your children about it.

Children often do not realize what cyberbullying is. Cyberbullying includes sending mean, rude, vulgar, or threatening messages or images; posting sensitive, private information about another person; pretending to be someone else in order to make that person look bad; and intentionally excluding someone from an online group. These acts are as harmful as physical violence and must not be tolerated. We know from research that the more time a teen spends online, the more likely they will be cyberbullied – so limit online time.

Watch the videos below and pass this blog on to your friends and family with children. These acts need to stop!

7 SKILLS STUDENTS NEED FOR THEIR FUTURE - TONY WAGNER