Monday, May 18, 2009

LEADING A DISTRICT

I was recently asked, "What ever motivated you to be a superintendent?" I can honestly say that I am driven by the complexities of leading and managing a school district. I have the opportunity of working closely with the community, a governing board, administrators, directors and supervisors. I enjoy the planning, problem solving and decision-making; I am motivated by the opportunities to develop programs and systems right along with the adventure of aligning these so that they will best serve children.

Then I'm asked, "Doesn't it bother you that some disagree with your decisions?" To be honest, yes it can be humbling, but then I remind myself why I chose this path...to serve the best I can. Sometimes (perhaps more than I would want to admit) I realize that my decision isn't the best, but then I fall back on the most important principal of leadership - to listen.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this first year because of the great people I get to surround myself with everyday. These leaders have so much capacity to move this school district in the right direction. They are change agents; they love to learn, but they realize that they are here to change as well.

Together, we have adopted the strategic plan of the district, been trained to make impact decisions, learned how to trust one another, and to play the roles we are assigned. We will align programs to best meet the needs of kids. We will empower each other along with all staff, parents and students. We will continue to develop key strategies, implement best practices and hold ourselves accountable to results. We have developed a powerful district report card and we're about to reveal and a district scorecard that will drive results and close achievement gaps. We are leaders; we must do this!

I get to work with teaching and learning, curriculum, instruction, assessment, human resources, student services, school finance, transportation, food service, technology, facilities maintenance, a governing school board (bless their hearts for serving), and a community that understands they have the potential of being identified as a "WOW" school district...not just in Minnesota, but with national and international recognition.

So, if you were to ask me again, "Why this career path?" Answer: It's the greatest adventure out there.

7 SKILLS STUDENTS NEED FOR THEIR FUTURE - TONY WAGNER